RE: How to obtain DOE Q and L clearances

I have often wondered about the DOE "L" and "Q" clearance.  That tricky
statement "NEED TO KNOW".  I see job placement's all the time for DOE sights
wanting people with an active "L" or "Q" clearance (mainly HP Road Tech's).
My question is when personnel leave a sight does the clearance get
terminated?  And when they go back to work do they just check the period the
person was without the clearance?  While in the Navy, when I transferred
from a Sub to Shore duty my clearance level was downgraded because I no
longer had a need to know.

Thank you,

Michael D. Kent