Re: Breast Cancer...Some Ideas

----- Original Message -----
From: <JPreisig@aol.com>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Breast Cancer...Some Ideas

>      I believe one (primary???) cause of breast cancer may be due to
cosmic
> radiation (neutrons/protons/hadrons) interacting with the breasts.

If cosmic radiation were a primary cause of breast cancer there should be
elevated incidence among high altitude populations as compared to sea level
populations and among female aircraft flight crew members.  These
populations have been studied, to some degree, with published data.  For
example the NIH did a study of cancer mortality in counties (and control
counties) near operating nuclear facilitites in several of the US.  As I
recall the, SMSR for breast cancer near Rocky Flats (Denver), Colorado was
less than one, although the variation was not statistically significant.  If
cosmic radiation were a primary cause, the study should have shown a
statistically significant elevated SMSR for the Colorado counties and
statistically significant depressed SMSRs for some of the sea level study
and control counties.

Don Kosloff dkosloff1@msn.com
2910 Main Street, Perry, OH 44081