Re: DOT 7A drums

It is important to remember that, for radioactive materials,  the DOT definition of "package" is "...the packaging together
with its radioactive contents as presented for transport..."  (49 CFR 173.403).  Thus, no manufacturer can certify its
packaging as "DOT 7A" or "Type A."    Elements of the certification are:  the packaging, the contents, including any liners,
spacers, or other containment systems, and the package closure, i.e. the torquing, sealants, etc.  What the manufacturer can,
and should, supply are test results, showing the package tested, the tests performed, and the results.  The user must certify
that the test results are valid for his contents, he uses all the inner containments used for the tests, and that the package
closure is the same or better than that used for the tests.

Test results are available through the DOE Web site.  It's the user's responsibility, however, to certify the package.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com