Gov't panel members express concern over surplus plutonium

Gov't panel members express concern over surplus plutonium

TOKYO, Feb. 27 (Kyodo) - Members of the government's Atomic Energy
Commission expressed concern Tuesday over possible surplus plutonium
in Japan a day after Fukushima Gov. Eisaku Sato rejected the use of
uranium-plutonium mixed oxide (MOX) fuel at a nuclear power plant in
the prefecture.

Tetsuya Endo pointed out in the commission's meeting that the key
issue of nuclear proliferation is how to deal with plutonium.

''If such use of plutonium (as MOX fuel) is abandoned, plutonium with
no specific purpose will be stored up in Japan, affecting the
country's atomic energy policy,'' Endo said.

Noriko Kimoto, another member, said, ''The fundamental problem is
public distrust and anxiety toward the atomic energy policy.''

Tetsuo Takeuchi stressed the need to promote understanding of the
background of nuclear energy. ''We can recognize what we should do
with atomic energy in consideration of environmental issues and
limited resources,'' he said.

''Since the silent majority does not view the issue as something
affecting their lives, we need to do more to appeal to them,'' he
said.

Fukushima Gov. Sato told the prefectural assembly Monday he will not
agree to the use of MOX fuel at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power
plant, being operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co. ( TEPCO).

In reaction to Sato's remarks, Nobuya Minami, TEPCO president,
released a statement Monday defending the ''pluthermal'' project,
which uses MOX fuel in a thermal reactor.

''The pluthermal project is efficient recycling of an energy resource
that we do not have much of in Japan. We will do everything in our
power to promote it to residents in Fukushima and to get them to
agree with the plan at the No. 3 reactor,'' he said.

Sato's announcement is likely to affect TEPCO's plans to start using
MOX fuel in the reactor in April. That would also affect Japan's
national policy for its nuclear fuel cycle.

MOX, a pellet mixture of uranium dioxide and plutonium dioxide, is
designed to be burned in light-water reactors. Plutonium is obtained
by reprocessing spent nuclear fuel from nuclear power plants.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net