Re: Fume hood testing standard

On 2/28 Chip Sawyer wrote:

>There are standards that address lab hood face velocity requirements of 100
>lfpm. Is there any standard or regulation that sets minimum periodicity for
>these flow tests. Or is it just following good engineering practices? A link
>to the standard would also be helpful if there is something out there that I
>am not seeing.

Dear Chip and Colleagues--For fume hood performance issues, use
ANSI/AIHA Z9.5-1992, "Laboratory Ventilation".  For testing, use
ANSI/ASHRAE 110-19995, "Method of Testing Performance of Laboratory
Fume Hoods".  These standards are not available on the Web, but you
can purchase them from ANSI or perhaps find a copy at your local
college or university library.   You could also consult with a
competent PE who is knowledgeable concerning lab HVAC design issues
(hard to find in some markets!).  Good luck with your projects.  Tom

Tom Shelley,   Chemical Hygiene Officer, Cornell University
Department of Environmental Health and Safety, 125 Humphreys Service Building,
Ithaca, NY 14853.       (607) 255-4288              tjs1@cornell.edu