New RADSAFE procedures - READ AND SAVE!

NEW RADSAFE PROCEDURES

In the change of servers for the Radsafe mailing list, a few changes will

occur. I have tried to minimize the number of changes needed - I think that

absolutely everyone agrees that Melissa Woo and the UIUC staff did a superb

job of running this list from the beginning until now. My goal is to do

things as similarly as possible, making the change as easy as possible for

users, and just not screwing anything up too much. There are a few changes

due to differences in the list software; most of the functions of the list

are retained, but procedures for performing some of the functions are

different. **PLEASE** read all of the following information, and it would be

a good idea to save it somewhere for future reference. Please also send

questions about any of this to me privately, not to the list. If there is

some issue that I think everyone needs to hear about, I'll post it.

1) The new address for postings is radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu  Starting

Friday, March 2 at 4:00 p.m. U.S. Central Standard Time, this address should

be working.

2) The new address for account maintenance (subscribing, unsubscribing,

etc.) is Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  The welcome message, listing all

applicable list procedures and rules is also given below. All current active

users will be subscribed to the new list (you should not need to

resubscribe). Postponed users will be notified by private e-mail that they

may resubscribe. I will send that announcement once or twice more over a 2

week period; after that, if I receive a bounced message, I will assume that

the account is dead.

3) On the new list, if you just choose <Reply>, the response will go by

default ONLY to the person who posted, NOT the entire Radsafe mailing list.

You need to choose <Reply All> to post to the list. Hopefully this will cut

down on the inadvertent personal postings that occur from time to time.

4) There will be no "Postpone" feature on the new list. You will need to

unsubscribe and resubscribe if you wish to shut off your mail for a period.

This is mechanically no more difficult than the use of the Postpone feature,

and has the same effect.

5) There will still be a "Digest" option for the list - but you will need to

actually subscribe to a different address (rather than just changing an

option for the same address). Subscribe to

radsafe-digest@list.vanderbilt.edu  You will get all of the same posts as do

the people on the regular (undigested? undigestable? indigestion?) list.

List members currently subscribed in Digest mode will be automatically

subscribed to the digest list, you also will not need to resubscribe.

6) I do not have any further information at present about the archives; this

will be the subject of another mailing in the near future.

I will take this opportunity to re-emphasize a couple of important rules.

People generally are doing a great job of following these rules, but there

are a couple of recurring problems. Please stay on the topic of radiation

protection. Please quote only as much of a previous post as is needed for

clarity in interpreting your response. Please do NOT include encoded files

or file attachments, the information just appears as garbage - text only,

please, and switch off your HTML format setting if possible.

Otherwise, keep that helpful information coming. The list is clearly a

valuable resource for the field, and your participation is the reason why!

Mike Stabin

Vanderbilt University

WELCOME MESSAGE

Please save this message for future reference.  Thank you.

you can send mail to <Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu> with the following

command in the BODY of your email message (no subject line):

    unsubscribe radsafe

or from another account, besides <your e-mail>

    unsubscribe radsafe <your e-mail>

To receive the DIGEST version of radsafe, subscribe to

radsafe-digest@list.vanderbilt.edu  instead of the above address.

To temporarily stop radsafe mailings, e.g. while on travel or vacation,

unsubscribe from the list and resubscribe when you return.

list itself) send email to <owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu> .

 Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to,

 in case you don't already have it:

[Last updated on: Thu March 1 10:04:28 US/Central 2001]

The Radiation Safety Distribution list is an electronic mailing

list for Health Physicists, Medical Physicists, Radiological

Engineers and others who have a professional interest in matters

related to Radiation Protection.  The list address is

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu.

The current RADSAFE list-owner is Michael Stabin,

owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

=============

Guidelines for RADSAFE participation:

1. Please keep in mind that RADSAFE is for the discussion of issues

    related to radiation protection.  Messages which do not add substantive

    content to the discussion are not appreciated. Flames, coarse language,

    and negative personal comments about members of the list or others

    are unprofessional and never appropriate.

2. Quote only enough text from the original message to make

    your message meaningful. Lengthy messages, or posts with many

    levels of quoting waste bandwidth and are difficult to read.

3. DO NOT post encoded files or file attachments to RADSAFE.

4. If your response is of interest to only one recipient, send it via

    private e-mail, not to RADSAFE.

5. Include your e-mail address somewhere in the body of your message

    so that people can respond to you directly rather than clutter the

    list. Not all e-mail clients are capable of retrieving return

    addresses from message headers.

6. Do not send commands intended for the listserver to RADSAFE.

    Commands for subscribing, unsubscribing, etc., should be

    sent to majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu .

7. Commercial postings are not allowed on RADSAFE with the

   following exceptions:

   -Postings of meeting announcements and educational opportunities

    by non-profit and not-for-profit organizations are allowed.

    Posts are not to exceed 25 lines.

   -Postings of job advertisements.  Posts are not to exceed 25 lines.

   The list-owner reserves the right to final determination of

   the appropriateness of a given posting or frequency of posting.

8. E-mail accounts which bounce large quantities of error messages

    back to our server may be unsubscribed.  If you feel that

    you have been unsubscribed inadvertently, simply try resubscribing.

9. Opinions expressed on the list are solely those of the individual

    authors unless otherwise indicated.  Individual messages are

    considered to be copyrighted by their respective authors; however,

    the archives are considered to be copyrighted by the list owner.

10. If you have questions or problems with RADSAFE that you can't

      solve, e-mail me at owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu, not through

      the RADSAFE mailing list.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Michael Stabin, owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu