Backscatter effects

Radsafers,

I have a question in measurement methods.

If I have a mixed activity on a stainless steel plate and I measure this

activity with a proportional counter then a certain part of my count rate

result from backscatter effects. Can anybody tell me, where are a

information is available about the amount of these backscatter effects?

It would be great if there is a table or a graph available which show the

approx. amount of backscattered photons depending to energy and atomic

number of the base.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Peter Hewing

Siemens Power Generation