FW: Congress on nuclear power

Jim Muckerheide wrote:

- -----Original Message-----

From: Muckerheide [mailto:muckerheide@MEDIAONE.NET]

Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 2:15 AM

To: ans-pie@nuke-ans.org; ans-members@WPI.EDU;

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Cc: rad-sci-l@ans.ep.wisc.edu

Subject: Congress on nuclear power

Note that the false statements about spent fuel are reiterated, ascribed

even to a nuclear proponent.

Perhaps NEI, ANS, HPS, and our other organizations can get the message to

Congress and the Administration to make it clear that there is no nuclear

waste problem.  Nuclear power does not spew its wastes in our air, water and

landfills, or remove whole mountains and fill valleys and streams in mining.

Also, that storage of the spent fuel at plant sites constitutes no risk at

all, especially in dry storage.

        <snip>

Jim Dukelow comments:

I don't think it helps to make statements that are clearly wrong -- clearly to

both the general public and technical people.  Perhaps Jim intends "no risk" as

shorthand for "negligible risk" or "small risk compared with the large

benefits".  If so, he should write that.

As a risk analyst, I take it as axiomatic that no human activity involves "no

risk".  Any counterexamples?

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my

management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.