Re: EPA, risk and dose

As I understand it, EPA's cancer slope factor has all the dosimetry

assumptions built into it.  There are some differences in the dosimetry

(which version of ICRP is used, etc.), but instead of taking an intake

(pCi/lifetime) and calculating a dose, they are simply calculating risk.

 And, of course, the risk estimates would change over time just as the dose

estimates would.

I don't know WHY, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason is that they are

tired of getting risk assessments from environmental consultants who are

familiar with chemical methods and they try to treat radionuclides the same

way.  (I've actually seen this happen - even tho the original EPA guidance

(RAGs) was more than clear on how to treat radionuclides - including a

suggestion that they hire a health physicist).  The result of their change

is that a radiological assessment at a superfund site now mirrors a chemical

assessment at a superfund site.

Those are my thoughts, at least -

Eric Frohmberg

Maine BOH.