Risk/governance/A rational approach???

- --------------9B5301476C51E443AA8CF850

I think trying to explain apparent flaws in the risk/benefit/decision

making

process as it manifests itself in our democracy is folly, we do not

actually

have a pure democracy in the US but some hybrid that involves the media

as

a powerful player and does not account for the fact that the populace is

not "all knowing".  An objective look at the situation leads me to

conclude

that we live in a dysfunctional "humocracy" or governance model so

strange

it's funny!

Anyway, it's a fools day..........("Nuclear reactor" appears in the text

so it's on topic)

                  INTERVIEW WITH A RISK EXPERT

SCIENCE:  Dr. Noitall, you are the ultimate world authority on

all types of risks, a revered figure who has just appeared in

national television.

Noitall:  A vast understatement of my true value.

SCIENCE:  You must have a large laboratory to uncover so many

facts not available to the regulatory agencies.

Notiall:  Facts are no longer created in laboratories, they are

created by the media.  Any pronouncement of mine repeated in

three periodicals, four newspapers, or one television program is

considered a fact.  My appearance on three talk shows is enough

to qualify me as an expert.  It is no longer necessary to have a

laboratory in my profession.

SCIENCE:  Could you give examples of how to avoid risk?

Noitall:  Stay out of the home.  More than 3 million people in

the United States were injured in 1987 in home accidents; 90% of

all automobile accidents occur within 10 miles of home.  It is

imperative that you stay away from home.

SCIENCE:  But I've heard that many accidents occur on highways.

Notiall:  That is true.  There is one fatality for every 10

minutes of driving on the highways in the United States.  I

have developed a rigorous formula that shows that the more time

spent on the highway, the greater the chance of an accident.

Therefore, I recommend driving 80 miles per hour as a way of

reducing the time spent on highways and thus reducing your chance

of an accident.

SCIENCE:  If one stays away from home, is there not an increased

chance of infectious diseases?

Notiall:  One has to give up sexual intercourse entirely.  The

danger of disease from that source is far greater even than from

eating an apple, and it should be avoided at all costs.

SCIENCE:  Are there other dangers about which the Environmental

Protection Agency has failed to advise us?

Noitall:  Breathing.  All breathing generates oxygen radicals,

which are the main sources of mutations in DNA, leading to

cancer, birth defects, and very peculiarly shaped molecules in

the urine.  Breathing has been observed 3 minutes before death in

100% of all fatalities.  We urge everyone to stop breathing until

the proper research has been carried out.  The EPA has been told

about this relation and has failed to act on it, a scandalous

display of irresponsibility.

SCIENCE:  What about hazards from crime?

Noitall:  A third of all homicides are committed on intimates,

about a third on acquaintances, and about a third on strangers.

Hence, it is imperative to avoid intimates, acquaintances, and

strangers in order to reduce your risk of homicide significantly.

SCIENCE:  Can one ever completely eliminate a given risk?

Noitall:  One can reduce a risk to essentially zero by adopting

what I call "the riskier alternative strategy."  For example,

one could take up hang gliding, as it has been conclusively

demonstrated that fewer hang gliders die of passive cigarette

smoke than those who never participate in the sport.  People who

bicycle without a helmet need not worry about a little nuclear

reactor nearby.  People who have a cocktail before dinner or

a little wine with a meal need never worry about a little

trichloroethylene in their drinking water.  By the proper choice

of alternative strategies, it is possible to reduce one's chance

of dying of any particular disorder to any desired level.  It has

relieved many people of risk anxiety syndrome.

SCIENCE:  This seems so sensible, I am surprised people don't

follow your advice.

Noitall:  Most ignoramuses are in fact following my formula

without knowing it.  Millions of people commute 20 miles to work,

take airplanes, and choose helplessly short-lived grandparents

and still worry about clean drinking water.  These people are

secret admirers of peptic ulcers.

SCIENCE:  We can't thank you enough for the time you are spending

with us, but I have one last question.  Do you practice what you

preach?

Noitall:  Sadly, the answer is no.  My family on the paternal

side has a hereditary weakness whose clinical manifestation is

the "eat, drink, and be merry" psychosis.  As a result, all my

ancestors on that side of the family have died prematurely, in

their early nineties.  I doubt whether I will escape the family

curse.

                                      -- Daniel E. Koshland, Jr.

                                         SCIENCE, June 30, 1989

==================