Re: GEOLOGISTS LEARNING URANIUM CONTAINMENT FROM NATURE

- ------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C0ACD6.648B3F40

        charset="iso-8859-1"

- -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Susan Gawarecki <loc@ICX.NET>

An: RADSAFE <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Mittwoch, 14. März 2001 20:42

Betreff: GEOLOGISTS LEARNING URANIUM CONTAINMENT FROM NATURE

>GEOLOGISTS LEARNING URANIUM CONTAINMENT FROM NATURE

>BLACKSBURG, Virginia, March 13, 2001 (ENS) - One of the richest

>uranium deposits in the U.S. lies beneath Coles Hill in rural Virginia -

>forming a perfect natural laboratory for studying radioactive waste

>containment.

>"You would expect ground water in this type of natural system to

>have carried the uranium away from the site into the surrounding

>environment, but we don't see that," said Virginia Tech Ph.D. student

>Jim Jerden. "We think we can learn something from this site that can

>be applied to existing contaminated sites and nuclear waste

>repositories."

Didn't we hear in the news yesterday, that one of the findings of a UN-group

in Kosovo was, that the uranium-penetrators posed no direct radiation

problem, but could "leak" to groundwater, contaminating it and  cause by

this way health concern????

Franz

- ------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C0ACD6.648B3F40

        name="Franz Schoenhofer.vcf"

        filename="Franz Schoenhofer.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD

VERSION:2.1

N:Schoenhofer;Franz

FN:Franz Schoenhofer

ORG:Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water =

Management, Department of Radiation Protection

TEL;WORK;VOICE:+43-1-71100-4458

TEL;HOME;VOICE:+43-1-495 53 08

TEL;CELL;VOICE:+43-699-116 813 19

TEL;WORK;FAX:+43-1-7122331

TEL;HOME;FAX:+43-1-495 53 08

ADR;WORK:;;Radetzkystr. 2;A-1031 Vienna;;;Austria

LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Radetzkystr. 2=3D0D=3D0AA-1031 =

Vienna=3D0D=3D0AAustria

ADR;HOME:;;Habicherg. 31/7;A-1160 Vienna;;;Austria

LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Habicherg. 31/7=3D0D=3D0AA-1160 =

Vienna=3D0D=3D0AAustria

EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:franz.schoenhofer@chello.at

REV:20010314T213037Z

END:VCARD