Release Criteria

I am trying to conduct a benchmarking survey to see  what criteria other

utilities use for determining what needs to be surveyed while exiting from a

Radiologically Controlled Area at a nuclear power plant.

Our procedures state:

All materials (except personal items as defined below and items surveyed by

the use of a Small Articles Monitor [SAM]) exiting the RCA shall be surveyed

directly (frisker or other instrument of suitable sensitivity) and

indirectly (smear).  Alternate survey techniques may be approved by the

RADCON Shift Supervisor (RCSS) on a case-by-case basis.  The material can be

released if direct survey results are less than 100 cpm above background and

indirect survey results are less than 1000 dpm/100 cm2.

The whole body frisk conducted by individuals (performed by using Personnel

Contamination Monitor PCM-1B) exiting the RCA is considered sufficient for

personal items (pens, keys, flashlights, etc.) which have not been in a

contaminated area.  RADCON will evaluate other items not define above on

case-by-case basis.

Basically the question is, what do you consider a personnel item (pens,

keys, flashlights, radios, etc) since those items would not have to be

separately surveyed upon exit of the RCA.

I would like to get responses from as many different utilities as possible.

Please e-mail responses to me directly and all will be appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck Creamer

Health Physicist

Tennessee Valley Authority