Oak Ridge Associated Universities - news & updates

ORAU's e-newsletter copied below has a lot of information likely to be

of interest to RadSafers.

In particular, I have spent some time browsing EPA's final rule on

radionuclides in drinking water (see #9 below) and was interested to

note that the agency has set ZERO as its Maximum Contaminant Level Goal

for all radionuclides (never mind that it's unachievable).  EPA goes to

some pains to justify use of the LNT model for its risk assessments.

Comments they received on the proposed rule are answered in a general

manner.

Regards,

Susan Gawarecki

- -----

       Professional Training Programs

           Hands-on Training in the

            Radiological Sciences

    Upcoming Courses and Other Neat Stuff

UPCOMING COURSES:

Health Physics for the Industrial Hygienist

        April 23-27, 2001

X-ray Physics for Inspectors

        April 30-May 4, 2001

MARSSIM

        April 30-May 4, 2001

(Arrangements can be made for the MARSSIM course to be offered at your

site.

To discuss this possibility contact either Paul Frame at (865) 576 3388

or

Eric Abelquist at (865) 576 3740)

Radiopharmaceutical Internal Dosimetry

        May 21-24, 2001

Course attendees receive a free copy of PTP's Electronic Library for

Radiation Protection CD containing over 1500 documents organized by

title,

subject area and the agency that produced the document. The CD can also

be

purchased separately for the nominal price of $99 (site license also

available).

To obtain detailed course information (including schedules) and/or

information about the CD

1. Visit our web site http://www.orau.com/ptp/ptp.htm

   We now have on-line registration available!

2. Email our registrar at registrar@orau.gov, or

3. Phone our registrar at 1-865-576-3576

To remove yourself from our mailing list, send a blank EMAIL to:

 leave-ptpupdates@listserv.orau.gov.

RECENTLY AVAILABLE NEAT STUFF:

1.      Journal of Nuclear Medicine currently has free online access to

full

text articles in recent issues.

                http://jnm.snmjournals.org

2.      Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics currently has free

online access to full text articles

                http://ojps.aip.org/acm

3.      American Journal of Roentgenology currently has free online

access

to full text articles in recent issues.

                http://www.ajronline.org/contents-by-date.0.shtml

4.      Radiation and Environmental Biophysics has free online access to

full text articles in recent issues

http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00411/tocs.htm

5.      The Institute of Physics Publishing is offering a good deal of

free

full text access to the latest issue of its electronic journals (e.g.,

Journal of Radiological Protection). You must first register and create

username and password.

                 http://www.iop.org/free2001

                To access the free issues - use the "Enhanced Service"

on

the homepage:

                http://www.iop.org/EJ/welcome

6.      Volumes 1 through 20 of NUREG 1556, Consolidated Guidance About

Materials Licenses, have all been finalized.

http://www.nrc.gov/NRC/NUREGS/indexnum.html

                NUREG 1727, the NMSS Standard Review Plan for

Decommissioning has also been finalized.

7.      This week the FDA issued the following Public Health

Notification:

Lead Exposure from Dental Films Stored in Lead-Lined Table-top

Containers

                http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/leadcontainer.html

8.      COMPASS MARSSIM Software: The beta test version of the COMPASS

software for designing MARSSIM-based surveys is available at

http://www.nrc.gov/NMSS/DWM/DECOM/decomm.htm    The final version of the

software has been approved and should be available soon, perhaps by the

end

of the month. Watch for it, it is an amazing resource.

9.      EPA Drinking Water Standards: 40 CFR Parts 9, 141, and 142

National

Primary Drinking Water Regulations; Radionuclides; Final Rule   Federal

Register Notice for Thursday, December 7, 2000

                http://www.epa.gov/safewater/rads/radfr.pdf

10.     The Internet Resources section of our website has been expanded.

It

is well worth a visit.

                http://www.orau.com/ptp/infores.htm

11.     Venues for traveling exhibit ""The Legacy of Marie Curie -

One Hundred Years of Science Innovation"

                http://wid.tamu.edu/travel/venues.htm

- --

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

                       -----

A schedule of meetings on DOE issues is posted on our Web site

http://www.local-oversight.org/meetings.html - E-mail loc@icx.net