RE: Smear Collection Efficiency

Glen,

I think you already know the answer to your question below, the answer is

no.  If you don't know the area surveyed, how could you quantify an activity

per unit area?  However, if you read the post that you replied to, Joel

wasn't talking about a package, he was talking about general surveys in the

work area.  He was referring to a technique call a large area wipe (LAW)

which is frequently used (at least in the DoE world) to find contamination

in the work area.  Then you go back and quantify the amount of contamination

after you find it with the large area wipe.

To further add to this thread, a survey for "removable" contamination should

be done to approximate the amount of contamination that will be removed

based on the use of the area.  Usually this involves a dry smear or swipe

(filter paper) to approximate routine transfer to an individual.  However,

if heavy work (or even decontamination) is to be performed in an area, I've

seen surveys for removable contamination performed with wet canvas and even

scotch-bright or steel wool pads.  Again, I emphasize that the intent is to

approximate the transfer of contamination from the surface to the worker and

his (or her) equipment based on the activity being performed.  And yes, you

have to know the area of the smear or swipe.

If you want to know the total amount of contamination on the surface,

perform a direct survey, not a smear / swipe.  That's why (again in the DoE

world) we have limits for "total" and "removable" contamination.

Sorry for stepping on the "soap box", I'll quit now.

David Hyder, CHP

(509) 373-9652

David_S_Hyder@rl.gov

Hanford's Facility Evaluation Board