Re: Commissioner Dicus speaks

Ruth,

I agree with most of what you and other have stated about this

topic. I do however feel that one statement needs to be made.

While it is true that government can not always legislate based on

what is popular opinion .. in the many cases you cited .. one must

also remember that all politicians are elected by a populace, and,

government is the voice of the people who elected them. In other

words, they are supposed to be our surrogates. This appears to

work when we agree with the politicians, and then again, it appears

not to work when we don't. There is a fine line here. While it may

not be something that we all desire, we are a country made up of

laws, and, majority rules in decision making. What do you think

would happen if a politician continually voted against everything

that their constituents wanted? They'd be voted out. We can all say

that the politician voted with their conscience .. that they were

brave and did the honorable thing. Again, there is a fine line. In a

democracy the politicians are supposed to do our bidding. A tough

issue for anyone.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net