RE: [Fwd: [OEM] DOE: History of Releases of Recycled U]

I once worked at one of these DOE facilities.  I do not know how the study

is being conducted.  However, if they sre not considering certain factors,

the study will be flawed.

Furnaces were used both for the recycling of combustible products that had

economically recoverable levels of uranium in them (eg: baghouse filter

bags, and for the incineration of solid waste with "low levels" of

radioactive contamination. Since the exhausts used scrubbers, Sample filter

media were not used on the monitoring stacks.  The release rates were

"estimated" using method 5 stack testing.  The estimated release rates,

assumed that the scrubbers were mechanically maintained.  There were not.

Another factor is that by procedure, stack filters were changed at

frequncies that gave laboratory results that were too close to the detection

limit.  Therefore not satisfying the 95% confidence factor.

Then the laboratory results were "rounded off" to the 0.1 KG.  Therefore,

any release below 0.05 KG per filter change was called "0".  With so many

stack filters changed on a shiftly basis for thirty eight years, that is a

significant error term.

I would hope that these factors, and others that I may not be aware of, are

considered.  To not consider them, could result in one of two problems.  One

would be that the total amount released is less than actual.  The other is

that, any adverse health effects to the public seen in epidemiologic

studies, would result in overestimated risk, since the health effects were a

result of releases that were actually larger than reported.