Re: Thorium in urine

The thorium in urine background is highly variable.  The ICRP 23 value is 0.1

ug/day.

P.Roth et. al., Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 226, 1997

is a reference.  They report:

Background Urinary excretion of Th-232  average: 47+/-27 uBq/day with a range

between 9 and 121 uBq/day.  One person varied between 26 and 167 uBq/day over a

15 day period.

P Roth also refers to several studies, including:

H. Dang, Health Physics, 1989:   16+/-6 uBq/day

Minoia, Sci. Tot. Environ., 1990:  0.35+/- 0.16 mBq/liter with a range from 0.04

to 2.9 mBq/liter.

>From my own experience, I am reasonably certain that there are a number of

individuals (in the U.S.) with much higher levels of ambient thorium in their

urine and that the levels fluctuate for even more dramatically than what has

been published.

Of course, all thoughts are entirely my own and do not necessarily reflect that

of my employer or clients.

Brian Keele, CHP

BLHamrick@AOL.COM on 04/03/2001 11:34:34 PM

Please respond to BLHamrick@AOL.COM

 To:      radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

 cc:      (bcc: Brian Keele/Contract/SWEC)

 Subject: Thorium in urine

Does anyone have a reference for an average (i.e., background value) of

thorium in human urine?

Thank you,

Barbara L. Hamrick

BLHamrick@aol.com