RE: Smear Collection Efficiency

In addition:

NRC Reg Guide 1.86 Table 1 footnote (e) and 10CFR835 Appendix D, footnote (4)

both include the statement:

"The amount of removable radioactive material per 100cm(2) of surface area

should be determined by wiping the area with dry filter or soft absorbent paper,

applying moderate pressure, and assessing the amount of radioactive material on

the wipe with an appropriate instrument of known efficiency".

Marty.Bourquin@GRACE.COM on 04/04/2001 08:49:02 AM

Please respond to Marty.Bourquin@GRACE.COM

 To:      radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

 cc:      (bcc: Brian Keele/Contract/SWEC)

 Subject: RE: Smear Collection Efficiency

49CFR173.443(a)(1) states you should wipe an area of 300 square cm then

average the activity over the area smeared.  Or you can use an

eqivalent procedure as specified in (2).