Schneeberg Study Criticisms

Karl,

You are correct, in all fairness, I shouldn't criticize the study without

providing some details. I had several problems with the study, but I will

list just three at this time.

In your study, the number of cases was extreley small.  In fact on your one

grapgh, that Fritz is so exicted about, showing exposure and lung cancer out

of 6 of your exposure categories, 4 categories had 6 or less cases.  I think

you really need a larger sample size before making the announcement that you

are finding a threshold.

My second problem is that it looks like you went back to the 1950s to

collect your cases. Were your controls also chosen from that time period?

If someone died from lung cancer in the 1950s, when did you take the radon

measurements in the home?  Weren't you really interested in what the radon

levels were before 1955, say 1930 - 1955?

It looks like you used death certificates to find your lung cancer cases.  I

can imagine that 30 and 40 years ago as today, the death certificates list

the cause of death.  If it says lung cancer, how do you know that it was the

primary cancer and not just not a secondary cancer the person died from?

How were the lung cancers proven?  With such a small sample size I would

think all of these problems are important.

Your exposure categories look like they were chosen arbirarily.  They are

uneven.  Why with such a small sample size would you select so many expoure

categories?  Overall, it looks like you are finding a positive trend for

people living in homes when considering their radon exposure and lung

cancer.  What does your dose effect curve look like with just 3 even

categories?  Wouldn't a smaller number of categories increase your

confidence for each exposure category?

Has your study been submitted to a journal such as Health Physics?  I would

think it would be important to get others to review your work before making

strong claims as is in your report.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.   Jim