Re: Schneeberg Study & Thresholds

> In your study, the number of cases was extremely small.

>  In fact on your one  graph, that Fritz is so exicted about,

>showing exposure and lung cancer out

> of 6 of your exposure categories, 4 categories had 6 or

>less cases.  I think you really need a larger sample size

>before making the announcement that you

> are finding a threshold.

    Now, we again see discussion related to finding a threshold. As

previously shown, it is impossible to prove the existance (or absence)

of a dose threshold. It is axiomatic that you cannot prove a negative.

 Radiation  protection policies such as ALARA are predicated on

the assumed absence of a threshold. The underlying idea is that

unless a threshold can be proven (an impossibility), it is prudent to

assume that no threshold exists. If, in fact, such a policy were prudent,

why don't we have ALARA for all known or suspected harmful agents.

 If it is not prudent, then we are certainly wasting a lot of our limited

resources protecting people against non-problems.

    If I am missing something here, please straighten me out.