A shipping query

        Hello all,

        I work for the U.S. Navy and am currently "butting heads" against an "immovable object" (Administratium) and wondered if perhaps I was interpreting the U.S. Federal regulations in a "weird and twisted way" (as I am sometimes apt to do) or if I was just hoping for a ray of light at the bottom of a deep dark well (sigh).

        There seems to be a conflict with the current U.S. Navy requirements for shipping Radiation Survey Meters with check sources (as "limited quantity" packages), and 10CFR30.15(9) Ionizing radiation measuring instruments containing... which "appears" to put survey meters in a different and unique "classification" than other radioactive sources of the same quantity...

        My two quick and (perhaps not so) simple questions are:

        1. Do Survey Meters which contain sources which are less than one exempt quantity, as a check source (less than 10CFR30.71) need "shipping papers" to transport them from one location to another over public roads? They "appear" to be exempt from those requirements by 30.15 due to their (and the other exempted items listed) "unique" classification.

        2. As I transport them, do I need to include appropriate the 49CFR notice of 173.422? Again, due to their "unique" classification, it appears that the authors of 30.15 realized that survey meters needed to be "mobile" as they often need to be "utilized" in a hurry, and so could do without the normal "paperwork" needed to transport radioactive material.  If I do include the notice and call them "excepted radioactive material, limited quantity, n.o.s., I'd be mis-labeling my package!

        The reason I ask this is that they "appear" to fall under the same exemptions given to Exempt Concentrations (10CFR30.14) and Certain items containing byproduct material (10CFR30.15) which do NOT require shipping papers because they have been exempted into a "unique" classification (along with electron tubes, wrist-watches, compasses, etc.), which IMHO, are NOT meant to be covered/governed under 49CFR.

        At this time, I am shipping all survey meters as "Limited Quantities of Radioactive Materials" under 49CFR, and I feel that it is costing my Command MANY thousands of dollars a year (in training and shipping) which, IMHO, could best be spent somewhere else.

        I would appreciate any comments/suggestions (let's keep it clean here) and dialog, which would help ME come to an understanding on this subject.  You know, I've been in this "business" for over 20 years and its the "gray" areas that give me the most headaches (grin)...

        Thanks (and I apologize for multiple postings on other "lists"...),

        Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)