Position announcements

This message posted at the request of Dr. George Xu, (xug2@rpi.edu) who may

be contacted for immediate questions. Formal contacts should be directed to

the address given below. Do NOT contact me about this announcement; I am

simply posting the message for the Institute.

**************************************

INSTITUTE RADIATION SAFETY OFFICER

And RESEARCH ASSISTANT PROFESSOR

The Department of Environmental and Energy Engineering and the Office of

Risk Management and Internal Auditing at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

invite applications for the position of Institute Radiation Safety Officer

and Research Assistant Professor.

As Institute Radiation Safety Officer, the selected individual will be

responsible for carrying out the policies and recommendations of the

Institute Radiation Safety Committee and Nuclear Safety Review Board.  This

individual will design and oversee Rensselaer's comprehensive radiation

safety effort so that associated inspection, monitoring, and compliance

activities assure that radiation doses to members of the Rensselaer

community and others are as low as reasonably achievable and adhere to

applicable regulations.  The duties will include supervising radiation

safety programs and procedures, conducting periodic inspections of

laboratories and other facilities for possible radioactive contamination,

inspecting and maintaining the inventory of radioactive materials, and

serving as liaison to the Institute Radiation Safety Committee and Nuclear

Safety Review Board.

As Research Assistant Professor, the successful candidate will be

responsible for developing and pursuing research in the area of biomedical

applications of radiation.  Rensselaer has embarked on a new initiative to

substantially expand its research activities.  A major component of this

expansion will be in the area of biotechnology.  Our Department's ongoing

efforts in biomedical applications of radiation coincide well with

Rensselaer's commitment to biotechnology.  As part of our Department's

Strategic Plan for the future, we are enhancing our activities in

biomedical applications of radiation, and we view the filling of this

position with an outstanding individual as an important step toward our

goals.  For more information about our Department, consult our web page:

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/env-energy-eng/public_html/index.html

Required qualifications include:  Ph.D. degree in health or medical

physics, physical science or nuclear engineering; title of certified health

physicist or equivalent; experience in the area of radiation protection;

and a record of research accomplishments.  Qualified candidates should

forward a resume and the names of four references to:  Professor Don

Steiner, Chairman, Environmental and Energy Engineering Department, 5049

JEC, 110 Eighth St., Troy, NY.  12180.  Applications will be accepted until

the position is filled.  Rensselaer, an equal opportunity employer,

particularly encourages applications from women and minority candidates.