Re: PuBe Sources - Increase in neutron flux

At 06:31 PM 4/19/01 -0700, Ken Smith wrote:

>Or is the Pu-241 just a contaminate

>in the processing and isotope separation of the original PuBe source?

Yes, Pu-241 is a contaminant. I doubt if there has been any isotopic

separation, though I am not sure of this.

>Is the increase in activity caused by the shorter half-life

>of Pu-241 (14 yr) and its daughter (Am-241, 433 yr.)?

Yes. Alphas are needed to produce the alphas and Pu-241 does not emit

alphas but Am-241 does.

>How far in the

>future will the output increase stabilize?

When the Pu-241 is mostly decayed, i.e., a few times the half-life of Pu-241.

mike

Mike McNaughton

Los Alamos National Lab.

email: mcnaught@LANL.gov or mcnaughton@LANL.gov