Re: PuBe Sources - Increase in neutron flux

At 06:31 PM 4/19/01 -0700, Ken Smith wrote:

>I was having difficulty understanding why this is.  Is the Pu-241 being

>generated by neutron absorption by the Pu-239 -> Pu-240 -> Pu241? Does

>this occur at an appreciable rate?  Or is the Pu-241 just a contaminate

>in the processing and isotope separation of the original PuBe source?

>Why does the presence of Pu-241 in a source increase the neutron output

>over time?  Is the increase in activity caused by the shorter half-life

>of Pu-241 (14 yr) and its daughter (Am-241, 433 yr.)? How far in the

>future will the output increase stabilize?

Hi Ken,

Mike is correct, Pu-241 is typically a contaminate in these types of

sources. It beta decays to Am-241, which subsequently produces neutrons via

its own alpha emission. Consider an initial Pu-241 content of 0.7%. The

source's neutron yield would increase ~2% per year with a maximum yield in

69.5 years (1.33 times the original yield). For additional information, see

the following:

M.E. Anderson, "Increases in Neutron Yields of Plutonium-Beryllium (a,n)

Sources," Nuclear Applications, 4,142-147 (1968).

Regards,

Erik

Erik F. Shores

Los Alamos National Laboratory