strange inconsistencies

Ruth "ranted":

>If I read a statement, I do not first inquire about the author's politics
before forming an opinion of that statement.
>I deplore the fact that the whole global warming issue has become a
liberal/conservative issue.  It's not, and shouldn't be.  If someone whose
general social and political policies I disagree with makes a single
statement I agree with, does that change my attitude toward social and
political policies?  Of course not.

I find it quite deplorable that most social issues are polarized into overly simplistic pro and anti positions, with groups from both sides generally using disinformation to sway others' opinions and push the debate in the direction they want it to go, instead of dealing with the truth. If we as health physicists want to have a significant influence on our society, our strategy should not be to play the disinformation game, but to speak the truth. I agree that we should deal with issues not based on the spokesperson's politics, but on the merits of the argument, as Ruth advocates. The only thing I find more disgusting than a scientist using disinformation is a "religious" group doing so. Science, like religion, is about truth (let's not start a religion thread here, send flames to me personally). Politics is not about truth, it's about winning power at any cost. If we as scientists are to participate in the public discussion, I say that we need to do so as scientists, not politicians, and stick to the facts. If a group whose politics we don't like says the right thing, we should endorse it, and vice versa.

>Enough ranting.  Thanks for bearing with it.
We need more such ranting, fire at will.

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 322-3190
Fax   (615) 322-3764
e-mail
michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright