RE: Th-228/Th-232

Is it possible that you're dealing with source of radium waste extracted

from thorium ore that hasn't yet completely decayed away?  The Ra-228 waste

stream, after ~ 14 years, would contain an equal amount of Th-228 activity.

Of course, the entire stream will decay away at Ra-228's 6.7 year half life.

But, if this stuff was created less than 40 years ago, it could be a source

of Th-228, absent its ultimate Th-232 parent.

Rodney Bauman, CHP, RRPT

84u@bechteljacobs.org