Re: Cancer and NNP

Thanks for posting the article.  It gives us a chance to tear the story to

shreds.

A couple of quotes from the article.

"Dr Chris Busby found that children in Chepstow in south Wales are 11 times

more likely to develop myeloid leukaemia than the national average."

"A study by Dr Busby shows that three cases of the rare cancer were

discovered in children up to the age of four between 1974 and 1990 in

Chepstow, compared to the national average of 0.27."

I personally think the article is misleading.  Notice the expected value of

0.27 cases.  It has always seemed ludicrous to refer to a fractional case of

cancer, because a person either has cancer or they don't have cancer.

Furthermore, if one or zero cases of cancer are expected, it does not seem

that three cases are enough to be considered statistically significant.  It

sounds more like a statistical fluke.

Joan