Re: Precautionary principle

Clearly this is a case-by-case situation.  What EPA used to do for ambient
air standards is to set a standard at some sort of level below the lowest
level at which any effect was observed.  For example, if the cough reflex for
SO2 is observed at a particular concentration in air, assume that that
concentration is the maximum of a normal distribution, estimate a standard
deviation from available data and go 2 standard deviations lower.
Alternatively, use a lognormal distribution.  That's how we got the ambient
standards of Sec. 108 of the Clean Air Act.

Another alternative: we have a number of standards in place.  My community
has been living with the existing arsenic standard for about 30 years, and
now EPA proposes to lower it significantly, at significant cost.  Is there
evidence in the community of statistically significant adverse health effects
from arsenic?  In the past 30 years, what has been the record of doctor
visits, etc, for arsenic poisoning?  How does this compare with other
communities that have arsenic in the drinking water?  that don't have arsenic
in the drinking water?  In this case, if the cost were trivial, the lower
standard would be accepted, but given the cost, a cost/benefit analysis is
needed.

Another alternative: look at a natural analogue that has been "lived with"
for a very long time.  This was the basis for 40 CFR Part 191.

Another alternative: a risk/benefit analysis.  This was done when saccharin
was put back on the market.  This final point can't be made too strongly.
Too often we don't look at the adverse effect of using the precautionary
principle (e.g. people who oppose vaccination because it puts poisons in the
body, or refusal to have regular dental x-rays).

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com