Re: MOX dose question

Zack,

MOX is more of a gamma hazard than standard U fuel.  In fact, the longer it sits after being manufactured, the dose rate increases due to buildup of Am-241 from decay of Pu-241(14.4 y half-life).  I don't know the exact dose rate numbers, but it is not of a magnitude to be real concerned with when handling the fresh fuel.  There are additional precautions taken in handling the fuel.  Maybe someone at Duke Power or some other utility that is/will be using MOX can answer specific details.

>In the series of comments on disposal and reprocessing I would like to know -  How does reprocessed fuel compare to >virgin fuel for dose?  Does recycled MOX fuel pose a significant risk over fresh fuel from dose or is the purity >such that you can handle it the same way?

Johannes "Fritz" Strydom
Deputy Manager, Consulting Products
NAC International
678-328-1258      Fax 678-328-1458