Re: MOX dose question

Zack,

You asked:  "In the series of comments on disposal and reprocessing I would

like to know -  How does reprocessed fuel compare to virgin fuel for dose?

Does recycled MOX fuel pose a significant risk over fresh fuel from dose or

is the purity such that you can handle it the same way?"

Virgin fuel has a fairly insignificant dose rate on the surface of the fuel

rods - only a few mrem/hr.  In fact, when new fuel assemblies are received

at a power reactor, they are literally given a white glove, hands on visual

inspection.

I worked in the plutonium recycle fuel design group at Babcock and Wilcox

back in the 70s.  As I recall, we were planning on new MOX fuel assemblies

to read on the order of 300 - 500 mrem/hr on contact with the fuel rods.

We were looking at what effect this would have on balance of plant systems

at power reactors.  I don't have any first hand knowledge of what some of

the new MOX fuel that is currently being fabricated reads.

Leon E. Brown

Staff Consultant

Big Rock Point Restoration Project

(231) 547-8419