Re: FDA looking into CT scans

There's a news release at the ACR website (www.acr.org)

that says the FDA has concerns about the radiation dose

from whole body screening CT studies that are currently in vogue.

Quoting from the news release,

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is concerned about the amount of

radiation delivered to patients by the increasingly popular full-body CT

screening, Reuters Health reports.

FDA officials are worried that the procedure, which requires a higher dose

than targeted CT, might expose patients to unhealthful doses of radiation,

the news service said this week.

One possible action, FDA officials say, is to develop regulations that

would require dosage monitoring on all imaging scanners that emit ionizing

radiation. This could be in the form of dose indicator lights similar to

those now required for mammography equipment.

Eugene Mah

--

To put my contact info into your Palm device, click here:

http://signature.coola.com/?eugenem@ix.netcom.com

Personal Signature Coolet

Eugene Mah, M.Sc., DABR               eugenem@ix.netcom.com

Medical Physicist/Misplaced Canuck    maheug@musc.edu

Department of Radiology               "For I am a Bear of Very Little

Medical University of South Carolina   Brain, and long words Bother

Charleston, South Carolina             me."   Winnie the Pooh

http://home.netcom.com/~eugenem/

PGP KeyID = 0x1F9779FD, 0x319393F4

PGP keys available on request         ICQ 3113529                 O-