Master of Health Physics Program-HPS Annual meeting

Radsafers:

IIT's Master of Health Physics Program will be at the 46th Annual Meeting

of the Health Physics Society in Cleveland.  We will have a table in the

exhibition area and will have information about the program and graduate

school registration at IIT.  Some of our students, including several who

have passed Pt I or Pt II of the ABHP exam, will be manning the table with

me.  They will be able to share their experiences in this Internet

delivered program.  We have had successful student participation from

industry, state programs, the NRC, National research and weapons labs,

hospitals, universities, and consulting firms.

IIT is accepting applications for the Masters of Health Physics program

beginning Fall, 2001.  This program, offered via the Internet, takes 2

years to complete.  A one-week laboratory course must be taken on the IIT

campus.  The program is designed to improve career opportunities for

existing HPs by enhancing skills and encouraging certification.  The

program is directed toward the working professional with an emphasis on

preparation for ABHP certification. The program includes core courses in

Health Physics, Dosimetry, and Environmental Modeling, as well as classes

in Organizational Behavior, Statutes, and Regulations.

Formal application to the Graduate College should be made as early as

possible to ensure admission for the Fall semester.  Minimum admission

requirements include a bachelor's degree (usually a BS in a science or

engineering) and a GRE score of 1200.  Applicants must submit two letters

of recommendation, transcripts, and current GRE scores for regular

admission.  Alternatively, you may apply for quick admission and take up to

two courses before making formal application to the program.  Performance

in these classes is considered in determining eligibility for admission.

HPs may take individual courses such as the HP core, Regulations,

Dosimetry, Theory of Organizations, or the summer instrumentation course

without applying for admission to the program.  These courses teach

specific skills and can serve as preparation for the ABHP certification

exams.  However, only 6 semester hours taken this way may be applied to a

degree.  Also, up to 6 semester hours earned at an accredited college or

university may be transferable.  Students who do not wish to apply for

formal admission to the program for Fall, 2001 may still apply for Quick

Admission and take Fall classes.

Tuition is currently $595/semester-hour.  The program is 32 semester

hours.  Limited financial aid may be available, particularly when a group

of several students are employed by a single organization that arranges to

meet administrative requirements, including payment of tuition and exam

proctoring, centrally.  Tuition may be deferred to the end of a semester to

enable a student to meet an employer's administrative requirements for

tuition reimbursement.

More information and brochures about the program will be at the meeting or

go to:

http://www.iit.edu/~bcps/mhp

Information about admissions may be found at:

http://www.grad.iit.edu/graduatecollege/insidepages/admissions.html

Contact Carlo Segre, PhD, segre@iit.edu, 312-567-3498  for administrative

questions or me, port@iit.edu, 847-965-1999, for course content or

professional questions.  I look forward to meeting prospective students at

the meeting.

Eli

ELI A. PORT, CHP, CIH, P.E.

Associate Research Professor, BCPS

<mailto:port@iit.edu>

VOICE:847.965.1999, 24x7

FAX:  847.965.1991

Visit The Master of Health Physics program at:

http://www.iit.edu/~bcps/mhp