Re: Op-Ed in International Herald Tribune

When astronauts travel into space they are exposed to

the intense radiation of the two belts of trapped

electrons, the primary cosmic radiation particles and

intense radiations from solar flares.  The largest

portion of the dose to the Apollo astronauts was

received when they passed through the earth's

radiation belts so trajectories could be adjusted

somewhat to limit the time in these belts.  During

Apollo, the doses to the astronauts ranged from 160 to

1140 mrad.  The Skylab missions resulted in doses of

1.6-7.7 rad.  The MIR missions resulted in doses more

than 10 times the Skylab doses.  During the first 11

Shuttle flights, the doses ranged from about 12-400

mrad with later flights as much as 4.5 rad.

Under normal solar conditions, a subsonic flight at an

altitude of about 11 km from LA to Paris and back

would result in a dose of about 10

mrad.  A supersonic flight at an altitude of about 19

km from LA to Paris and back would result in a dose of

about 7 mrad.

During the Solar Max's and increased solar flare

occurences the radiation doses would be much higher.

One should be able to calculate the relative risk from

all of these events.

Astronauts cancer rates are lower than the general

population since they live much healthier life styles

than the general population.

Contact NASA at Johnson Space Center for more info on

this.

Paul W. Shafer