Re: radon risk

In a message dated 6/16/2001 6:25:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

nelsonjima@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> I find it interesting that so many members of the

>  listserv criticize efforts to reduce radon exposure.

I criticize and will continue to do so for government rules that impose

unreasonable costs on individuals because of radon potential exposure.  This

occurs primarily in the field of property transactions in the sale of real

estate.  When EPA regulates outdoor air radon concentrations that are at

environmental levels, then the government deserves to be criticized.  On the

other hand, radon levels in new construction can be quite high because of the

air ventilation barriers that houses are wrapped in now. ( I once surveyed a

house where the radiation levels were several mR/hr because of Rn daughters.

We opened the windows and it went away! )  Radon needs to be recognized, but

not made into an ogre or a huge cost penalty by government fiat.

More later...

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee