Re: tritium exit signs - not

In a message dated 6/18/2001 1:56:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

GNICHOLL@DEP.STATE.NJ.US writes:

> Properly installed and maintained, these signs pose no significant hazard.

> Two incidents here in New Jersey in the past five years demonstrate what

can

> happen when they are not given the care they deserve.

>  In the first incident a teenaged male walking by a building demolition

site

> picked up components of a sign, took it home and "opened it", breaking the

> glass tubing, in his basement bedroom.  The cost to clean up the tritium,

> dispose of the contaminated material and test him and others who were in

the

> room was over $60,000.

>  In a second incident, a teenaged male client at a state operated

residential

> facility for individuals with severe emotional problems tore a sign off the

> wall and smashed it, contaminating himself, an attendant who was subduing

him

> and rugs, furniture and draperies in a common room located in a dormitory.

> Clean up, disposal and testing of the individuals involved cost more than $

> 150,000.

I wonder if the cleanup and testing was necessary.  The licensing of the sign

manufacturers must consider the consequences of such a release.  Was the

testing and cleanup demanded by New Jersey?  Was any reference made to the

license criteria for these signs?  If so, was there a decision that there was

a problem that was not addressed in the licensing?  Maybe it was done just to

be safe.  This is the traditional response even though there is no exposure

risk.  I would like to see some numbers besides cost for such an incident.

The industry needs the information.

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee