Re: tritium exit signs - not

Maybe I don't get it.

The minor child in the NJ case got a dose of almost 100 mrem. Yes, a

"small" dose and less than the 100 mrem per year limit for members of

the general public. However, that dose was minimized because of the

cleanup. What is the dose that the child should have received? I vote

for the dose that he would have received had the sign been properly

disposed -- zero.

Let us understand that the issue here was the IMPROPER disposal of a

licensed radioactive material that resulted in both contamination of

a home and dose to the child. Why would we not hold those who did not

follow the law (did not dispose of the sign properly) responsible for

any and all response and cleanup costs. The only "penalty" that the

owner of the sign got was costs of response and cleanup. Seems cheap

to me. In fact, I think that a civil penalty would have been fully

justified and should have assessed against those who improperly

disposed of the materials. That is what is often done for illegal

disposal of hazardous waste.

If the "industry" (I am not sure what industry we are talking about

here) needs the information it is readily available from USNRC Region

I. A phone call or email to them will get both the details and the

rational. Additionally, the NRC has an extensive document regarding

the risks associated with these consumer products.

Paul Lavely

Director

Office of Radiation Safety

Paul Lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>