Re: radon risk

In a message dated 6/18/2001 3:15:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

nelsonjima@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

>  John,

>  Where are the regs that regulate outdoor radon concentrations?  Jim Nelson

I have to eat my words.  EPA does not regulate outdoor radon, only indoors.

There are extensive web pages for this voluntary indoor radon regulation.

The basis for the EPA rules are found in the Indoor Radon Abatement Act of

1988, 15 U.S.C. 2661, Section 306; Toxic Substances Control Act, Title I,

Section 10 (a) governs radon management.  The radon  programs are located in

the Office of Air and Radiation, Indoor Environments Division, Environmental

Program Agency (EPA).

Sorry for the confusion.  Not sorry for the EPA which set the acceptable

levels of radon inside your house at levels very near the normally occurring

levels found in outdoor air.  Outdoor air radon concentrations are not

constant either.  Another commentor notes that plowing fields and melting

snow are significant sources of enhanced radon exposure.  Weather patterns of

high and low pressure can greatly increase the radon concentrations both

inside and outside buildings.  I also noted that the EPA web listings do not

discuss dose due to the radon, only the fact that radon can be harmful.

There is no discussion of the relationship between the harmful levels of

exposure of miners and the limiting value of 4 pCi/L given in the standard.

My thoughts.

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee