RE: tritium exit signs - not

You wrote,

 I would like to see some numbers besides cost for such an incident.

-------------

Ditto here...

...a colleague told me that " I have one [tritium exit sign] in front of me

(a prop for presentations).  Its label says: "... This device contains

Hydrogen 3  12.5  Curies.  DO NOT DISMANTLE OR OPEN THIS SIGN unless

specifically licensed by the AEC or an agreement state.  DO NOT ABANDON OR

DISPOSE OF THIS SIGN except by ...   Date of Mfg. 12/75"  The note is

printed directly onto the plastic.  Of course, if the sign had been glued to

a wall, and the wall torn down, ...

My 25.5 yr old sign now has 2.97 Ci. "

....those 12.5  Curies is surprisingly high -- compared to, say, the usual

0.5 - 1 µCi of Am-241 in smoke detectors (I realise the risks are entirely

different, but the number itself is nevertheless impressive....).

Jaro