Does Exposure to Residential Radon Increase the Risk of Lung Cancer?

Does anyone have an electronic version of this debate or know how to contact

the authors for a reprint?

Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 95(1), pp 75-81 (2001)

Topics Under Debate - Does Exposure to Residential Radon Increase the Risk

of Lung Cancer?

Proposer R.W. Field  Opposer K. Becker

Moderator J.C. McDonald

The Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation (BEIR) VI Report The Health

Effects of Exposure to Indoor Radon, concluded that radon exposure

represents a significant cause of lung cancer which was second only to

cigarette smoking. Humans as a species have been exposed to various

concentrations of radon for about as long as they have existed on Earth.

Certain parts of our planet, because of their geology, have rather high

naturally occurring concentrations of radon, and many people have been

immersed in those high concentrations with seemingly little deleterious

effect. On the other hand, it is well known that mine workers exposed to

high concentrations of radon do indeed suffer health effects. When modern

homes are constructed they are quite well sealed against air infiltration,

thus by symmetry they are also resistant to the outflow of gases. In

situations where homes are constructed in areas of high natural radon

concentrations, it is logical to ask whether residents may or may not

experience serious health effects. Our two participants have considered this

question and have divergent views. They are both well qualified to present

their arguments regarding this topic, and we are fortunate to have them

share those views with us in this debate.

http://www.ntp.org.uk/rpda87/rpda200195175.html

Tom English

englishtoma@hotmail.com