RE: Contaminated uranium in the news again

This article is misleading.  It gives the impression that the DOE produced

twice the amount of recycled uranium than originally estimated.  However,

the quantity produced at the production sites is still reported (i.e., by

the DOE) to be within the original estimate of 100,000 - 150,000 MTU.

It was known from the beginning of the mass balance project that the

blending/processing of uranium materials at the various sites inevitably

increased the total quantity of "recycled" uranium (i.e., due to

cross-contaminating "virgin" materials).  I guess that this total quantity

of "recycled" uranium is now estimated at ~ 250,000 tons, which is not at

all surprising.   As usual, the press makes it sound like the DOE discovered

some totally unexpected, alarming new scenario - which is really not the

case.

Rodney Bauman, CHP, RRPT

84u@bechteljacobs.org