Re: Uranium Release Limits

In a message dated 6/26/2001 11:39:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

estroud@SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US writes:

>  Radsafers,

>  Can anyone recommend a guidance document, article or opinion concerning

>  the release limits for equipment leaving a uranium mining/milling

>  facility? (I already have Reg Guide 1.86)  Specifically, should the

>  release survey include a check for beta-gamma levels, or is an alpha

>  survey for fixed and removable contamination sufficient?

>  Thanks

>  Ed Stroud

>  CDPHE

>  ed.stroud@state.co.us

With regard to surveying only for alpha radiation for equipment leaving a

mining and milling operation, you should always check for both alpha and

beta-gamma radiation and contamination from this kind of facility.  The easy

way to do the direct surveys is to use one of the detector systems that

measures both alpha and beta radiation and gives different sounds for each

kind of radiation detected.  Listening while surveying is by far the fastest

and most effective survey technique, especially for low level contamination.

If milling is involved, there are lots of opportunities for the separation of

the nuclides into various streams, thus providing different alpha to beta

ratios.  Only both types of surveys can be counted on to detect this kind of

contamination.  Also alpha surveys are not efficient for thick deposits of

dirt or other materials as alpha radiation will not penetrate paint or other

coatings.  Beta and gamma surveys are appropriate as well as administrative

controls and rules to assure detection of hidden activity.  For large

equipment, gamma radiation surveys should be used to detect hidden radium

contamination.

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee