Re: Radon and Never Smokers

Indeed an interesting study. Thanks Jim for bringing it to our attention.

Some comments:

1) The relative risks presented in Table 5 adjusted with missing data

imputed. They state the relative risk as 1.55 for radon concentrations

greater than 140 Bq/m^3. From Table 4, concentrations greater than 200

Bq/m^3 (with imputed data) give a RR of 1.067 [Cases: 13/258; Controls:

23/487]. Big difference. New math?

2) Looking over Table 4, there really isn't a discernible difference

between the cases and controls. Any differences in percentages can easily

be swayed by one or two cases (or controls) improperly grouped.

3) It doesn't look like Sweden has a genuine radon problem. The control

distribution of radon concentration should represent the country at large.

In such case, less than 5% of the population is exposed to radon

concentration more than 200 Bq/m^3 (the European action level for new

construction) and 0.6% of the population is exposed to radon concentrations

more than 400 Bq/m^3 ( the action level for existing structures).

4) I would have liked to see the authors include higher categories of radon

concentrations, such as 800 and 1200 Bq/m^3, since these levels do exist

and are biologically more important. Using administrative values as data

cutoff point is OK as long as higher cutoff values are presented for

comparison (i.e., 400 Bq/m^3 to infinity represents an enormous spectrum of

concentrations).

Tom

--

Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP

University Radiation Safety Officer

104 Health Sciences Bldg

Wright State University

Dayton, Ohio 45435

tom.mohaupt@wright.edu

(937) 775-2169

(937) 775-3761 (fax)

"An investment in knowledge gains the best interest." Ben Franklin