Re: Radon and Never Smokers

Jim et al.

I do not find this study at all surprising. It is very

interesting. Radon's daughter products inhaled in a

chronic exposure condition would have a greater lung

retention and greater effect than the thorium and

organics found in tobacco smoke. Certain tobaccos

grown in higher thorium soil (red clays for example in

Ky, Ga, Tn) would be worse than those grown in more

humic soils (Va, NC). Many Europeans smoke cigarettes

grown in low thorium soils with higher natural

nicotine (less chemically induced nicotine

enhancement).  These cigarettes are usually more

expensive.  This may partially explain longevity in

European cultures who have a larger smoking population

than the US.

Paul Shafer

http://www.epidem.com/article.asp?ISSN=1044-3983&VOL=12&ISS=4&PAGE=396