Re: death wish?

Those of sensitivie disposition or concerned with political correctness are

strongly advised to delete this message and move on.

That being said, I am sick to death of hearing about how the Gulf War was

about nothing but oil.  A United States ally was invaded, and it's citizens

subjected to heinous atrocities.  There was a clear, attainable goal (the

liberation of Kuwait) that our international agreements obligated us to try

and achieve.  And that goal was achieved.

In the Balkans, we have several groups of people who have been habitually

killing each other for centuries.  The United States is not party to any

relevant international agreements that I am aware of, and none of the goals

I've heard about the region are attainable with military force.  We haven't

stopped genocide, we've simply postponed a vicious fued that has persisted

since before the US was ruled from London.

Finally, before I end this rant, I have to point out that throughout human

history, economics has been a very common and accepted motivation for war.

One of America's first military operations abroad was against pirates in the

Med. Sea, who were interfering with US trade.  A sound economy prevents

poverty.  Governments have an obligation to deal with issues that threaten

the foundations of their economies.

Okay, now...  Sandy, if I've taken your remarks out of context or not as

they were intended, I apologize.  I don't claim to know what you think about

the motivations for the Gulf War vs. the Balkans actions, and whatever your

opinions you have perfect right to them, as do all of us.

Please address flames to laradcon@hotmail.com, and remember that

"pigheadded" has three 'd's.

Phil Hypes

Los Alamos Radiation Consultants