UK's Blair says no plan to expand nuclear power

UK's Blair says no plan to expand nuclear power

JAERI begins moving Mutsu's spent nuclear fuel

Jury Rules for Beryllium Supplier

Common Ground Sought for Nuclear Security in 21st Century

American Rivers Backgrounder on Today's House Hydro & Nuclear Hearing

Australia to raise nuclear concerns with N.Korea

Confab on nuclear safeguards begins, Japan urges enforcement

=================================

UK's Blair says no plan to expand nuclear power

LONDON, June 27 (Reuters) - Prime Minister Tony Blair said on

Wednesday he had no plans to extend Britain's nuclear power

capability a day after he ordered a root-and-branch review of the

country's energy needs.

"I don't actually think that an expansion of nuclear power is on the

agenda, however what is on the agenda is reviewing our energy

requirements for the future," Blair told parliament.

"In respect of the issue of nuclear power, our policy has not

changed."

His Labour Party's election manifesto was more equivocal, saying coal

and nuclear energy "currently play important roles in ensuring

diversity in our sources of electricity generation."

Energy Minister Brian Wilson, who will head the review, said on

Tuesday it would look at what role, if any, the nuclear industry

should play in future.

Speculation has been rife that the review, which will be conducted by

the Performance and Innovation Unit which reports direct to Blair,

will sanction an extension of nuclear power.

Experts say Britain will become a net importer of oil and gas in the

future. The government's investment in renewable energy sources --

solar and wind power and the like -- is unlikely to fill the gap.

Nuclear power stations generate around 30 percent of Britain's

electricity. Renewables currently meet less than three percent of

electricity demand.

----------------

JAERI begins moving Mutsu's spent nuclear fuel

MUTSU, Japan, June 27 (Kyodo) - The Tokyo-based Japan Atomic Energy

Research Institute (JAERI) on Wednesday started moving spent nuclear

fuel removed earlier from the nuclear ship Mutsu to its Tokai

Research Establishment northeast of Tokyo.

JAERI plans to transport the roughly 2.6 tons of spent nuclear fuel

kept at its Mutsu Establishment in Mutsu, Aomori Prefecture in

northeastern Japan to the Tokai Research Establishment in Tokaimura,

Ibaraki Prefecture, in three shipments during the current fiscal

year, institute officials said.

JAERI will transport about 0.9 ton of spent nuclear fuel in the first

shipment, the officials said.

As loading of fuel onto the 1,300-ton Hinoura Maru, a special

transportation ship, will take three days, the fuel is expected to

leave port on Friday or Saturday, they said.

Containers carrying the fuel were transported to the port of

Sekinehama in Mutsu by heavy truck.

JAERI has not revealed a detailed schedule or shipping route for the

fuel, citing security considerations.

The fuel was originally to be shipped last year, but the schedule was

pushed back in the wake of the 1999 nuclear accident at Tokaimura,

some 120 kilometers northeast of Tokyo, Japan's worst nuclear

disaster in which two people died.

>From around 2006, the fuel is scheduled to be reprocessed at the

Japan Nuclear Cycle Development Institute's reprocessing plant in

Tokaimura and uranium and plutonium are expected to be extracted.

Mutsu was built as Japan's first nuclear ship in 1969, but in 1974

experienced a radiation leakage accident. In 1991, it finished a

series of test voyages, and the nuclear reactor was removed in 1995.

----------------

Jury Rules for Beryllium Supplier

GOLDEN, Colo. (AP) - June 27 - The company that supplied beryllium to

a former nuclear weapons plant was not responsible for the illness of

four workers who said they were sickened from exposure to the metal,

a jury decided Tuesday.

The six-person jury ruled that Cleveland-based Brush Wellman was not

negligent, and no damages were awarded to the plaintiffs.

Jurors told attorneys they believed the former employees of the now-

closed Rocky Flats nuclear weapons plant assumed some risk with the

job, said Al Stewart, attorney for the plaintiffs.

The workers had asserted that Brush Wellman failed to warn them about

the metal's effects. The Jefferson County District Court jury found

that poor management at Rocky Flats was to blame.

The plaintiffs have filed separate claims against the government;

Rocky Flats operators; Dow Chemical; and Rockwell International.

Brush Wellman attorney Jeffrey Ubersux said the jury's verdict

confirms that ``Brush Wellman had provided adequate warnings to the

users of its products.''

Beryllium is a hard, gray metal that is extracted from ore, refined

into a very fine powder and used in manufacturing nuclear weapons,

cars, cell phones and other products.

Chronic beryllium disease inflames and scars the lungs, making it

difficult to breathe. Of the four workers in court Thursday, two were

using oxygen tanks.

The plaintiffs had no comment on Tuesday's verdict. Stewart said no

decision has been made on whether his clients will appeal.

On the Net:

Brush Wellman: http://www.brushwellman.com

Department of Energy: http://www.energy.gov

Dow Chemical: http://ww w.dow.com

-----------------

Common Ground Sought for Nuclear Security in 21st Century

Lawmakers Introduce 'Nuclear Threat Reduction Act of 2001'

WASHINGTON, June 27 /PRNewswire/ -- In an effort to decrease the

dangers posed by nuclear weapons in the post-Cold War era, Senator

Mary Landrieu (D- LA), Representative John Spratt (D-SC), and

Representative Ellen Tauscher (D- CA) today introduced the Nuclear

Threat Reduction Act of 2001 (NTRA).  The bill is based on three

principles: reducing the numbers of nuclear warheads, removing as

many weapons as feasible from high alert status, and preventing the

diversion of Russian nuclear weapons, expertise, and weapons-usable

materials.

"This bill reflects the broad consensus -- including President Bush

and many top defense experts -- that the United States can and should

take the lead to reduce the threat of nuclear weapons resulting, not

just from global war, but also from accident, miscalculation,

terrorism, or unauthorized use," said Senator Mary Landrieu, who

chairs the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and

Capabilities.

Despite improved relations, Russia and the U.S. have thousands of

nuclear weapons on high alert, ready to launch in minutes.  Russia's

weak economy has compromised the safety of its nuclear arsenal,

creating the distinct possibility of proliferation to "rogue" states

or terrorists and a nuclear disaster affecting American citizens.

"The legislation we are introducing today builds on this and other

concerns," said Representative Spratt, the second ranking Democrat on

the House Armed Services Committee.  "This bill seeks to shrink the

size of our nuclear arsenals, remove as many weapons as feasible from

'high alert,' and beef up our investment in cooperative threat

reduction programs.  These goals should not be controversial.  In one

form or another, each of these ends has been endorsed by President

Bush and by an array of defense experts, including Senator Sam Nunn

and Senator Howard Baker.  We recommend them in the hope of finding

common ground."

"As the world's only remaining superpower, it's up to us to take the

lead and engage Russia in improving the security of both our aging

stockpiles of nuclear weapons," said Representative Ellen Tauscher,

who holds a seat on the House Armed Services Committee.  Rep.

Tauscher is also the Ranking Member on the panel that oversees the

National Nuclear Security Administration, which was created by

Congress in 1999 to manage America's nuclear weapons program in light

of security and management concerns at the Energy Department.

Reducing U.S., Russian Nuclear Warheads

The NTRA establishes a U.S. policy to seek agreement with Russia to

cut the two countries' nuclear weapons to the lowest numbers

consistent with U.S. national security.  The bill repeals the

existing law that prevents the reduction of strategic forces below

START I levels (6,000) and suggests unilateral cuts, where necessary,

to spur agreement on overall reductions by both sides.  But it defers

to the President on the magnitude of the cuts.

"While nuclear weapons remain a vital part of our deterrent, we are

holding on to legacy systems that only made sense in the context of

the Cold War.  They do not enhance our national security, but they do

drain away resources needed to combat today's evolving threats," said

Senator Landrieu. "President Bush indicated his interest in nuclear

weapons reductions during the campaign.  In the wake of the recent

summit, I believe we have an excellent opportunity to find bipartisan

agreement on this critical issue."

Removing Weapons from High Alert Status

The NTRA declares that it is U.S. policy to join with Russia to

remove as many weapons as feasible from "high alert" status --

weapons poised to "launch on warning" -- while meeting national

security needs, an idea President Bush proposed as a candidate.

"A good first step for the United States would be to take the weapons

off high alert that would be removed from our nuclear arsenal under

START II and to strongly urge the Russians to follow suit.  This

would instantly help make the world safer while preserving America's

national security," said Representative Tauscher.

Russia's strategic infrastructure continues to deteriorate.  Russian

systems reportedly malfunction frequently, including switching to

combat mode for no apparent reason, and there are gaps in Russia's

early warning systems. In 1995, Russian radar operators believed they

had detected a missile headed for Russia.  An alarmed President

Yeltsin, with Russia's "nuclear suitcase" by his side, immediately

conferred with top advisors.  Minutes before the deadline to

counterattack, Russian senior officers determined the rocket --

launched for scientific research -- was headed out to sea.  Norway

had informed Russia of the planned launch a few weeks in advance, but

word had not reached the proper authorities.

Accelerating Programs to Prevent Nuclear Proliferation or Diversion

The NTRA would increase funding for nonproliferation programs to $2

billion next year to prevent the diversion of the Russian nuclear

arsenal and the expertise of unemployed and underpaid Russian nuclear

scientists.

"These increases are substantial, but still fall short of what was

recommended by the recent Baker-Cutler Task Force," said

Representative Spratt.  The bipartisan Task Force, headed by former

Senate Republican Leader Howard Baker and former White House counsel

Lloyd Cutler, assessed the U.S.- Russia non-proliferation programs

and urged that they be accelerated to address our "most urgent unmet

national security threat."

Russia has enough fissile material to build at least 60,000 weapons.

Much of it is alarmingly insecure, as evidenced by a recent report

citing open buckets of plutonium housed in complexes without a

perimeter fence, leaving it vulnerable to exploitation by "rogue"

states and terrorists.  As a remedy, the NTRA calls on President Bush

to submit a strategic plan to secure and neutralize all weapons-

usable material in Russia during the next eight years.

"We have arrived at a critical moment in time where we must take

steps to reduce the nuclear threat we face, as comprehensively and

urgently as possible," said Ambassador Karl F. Inderfurth, Senior

Advisor to The Justice Project's Nuclear Threat Reduction Campaign.

"The three steps proposed in the bill introduced by Senator Landrieu

and Representatives Spratt and Tauscher are ones that can and must be

taken now."

The Nuclear Threat Reduction Campaign, a program of The Justice

Project, is working for pragmatic and effective steps to make it

increasingly unlikely that nuclear weapons will ever be used.  The

Justice Project is a national, non-profit, non-partisan organization

dedicated to fighting injustice and creating a more humane and just

world.

Additional information and text of the bill are available online at

http://www.nuclearthreatreduction.org .

----------------

American Rivers Backgrounder on Today's House Hydro & Nuclear Hearing

WASHINGTON, June 27 /U.S. Newswire/ -- As the House Energy and Air

Quality Subcommittee prepares for Wednesday's oversight hearing on

the regulation of hydroelectric dams, American Rivers cautioned

members of Congress not to roll back environmental protections for

the sake of a few extra kilowatts.  Scheduled for 10:30 AM in 2123

Rayburn House Office Building, the hearing will look at the Federal

Energy Regulatory Commission's (FERC) relicensing process for

hydropower dams.  Anticipated witnesses include representatives from

FERC, the Government Accounting Office (GAO), Idaho Power Company,

the state of Vermont, and Liz Birnbaum, Director of Government

Affairs for American Rivers.  No administration witnesses or

representatives of state government are scheduled to testify.

"The utility industry and their Administration allies are

exaggerating the energy crunch and lobbying Congress hard to relax

environmental protections at hydropower dams," said Liz Birnbaum,

Director of Government Affairs for American Rivers.  "Their proposed

reforms are about generating more profits, not more electricity."

The Federal Power Act grants authority to FERC and several other

federal and state agencies to regulate the operation of non-federal

hydropower dams on public rivers. Every 30 to 50 years, a dam owner

must apply to FERC for a new operating license. This licensing

process requires consideration of ecological health, water quality,

and recreation so that operation of dams continues to be in the

public interest.

"Hydropower licensing is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to

modernize these dams to protect our rivers and the benefits they

provide to local communities," added Birnbaum.  "Any changes to this

process should improve environmental quality and recreational

opportunities, not diminish them."

Below are excerpts from Ms. Birnbaum's testimony:

-- In the scramble to find a magic bullet for the energy crisis,

Congress and the Administration should be careful not to over-rely on

our nation's already troubled rivers.  Through careful and deliberate

evaluation involving checks and balances of a variety of agencies, we

can bring hydropower dams up to modern environmental standards

without compromising power generation.

-- If awarded a license, utilities get to monopolize a river for a

half a century with little oversight and no motivation to make

environmental improvements.  It's perfectly reasonable that we take

this once-in-a-lifetime chance to require them to modernize the way

they operate their dams on our rivers.

-- "The most significant constraint on expansion of US hydropower

generation is physical; most of the best locations for hydropower

generation have already been developed." (President's Energy Plan, 5-

18)

-- According to FERC, relicensing results in an average power loss of

only 1.6 percent per project.  That's less than 0.04 percent of our

nation's electricity generation.  When compared with the 5 percent

annual fluctuations in demand due to weather, this is an incredibly

small number.  Industry is not interested in power generation as much

as profits.

-- Our nation's rivers and fisheries are facing a crisis of slow but

steady extinction.  Resource agencies with expertise in these areas

and mandates that minimize environmental harm are in the best

position to address this threat.  We can endeavor to find better ways

to generate hydropower and new sources of energy but we cannot bring

back species once they have gone extinct.

Also testifying at the hearing will be FERC and GAO, each of whom

released reports in May, about the hydropower licensing process.

Responding to Congressional direction to find ways to "reduce the

cost and time of obtaining a  1/8hydropower dam 3/8 license," FERC

proposed to dramatically weaken the authority of states, tribes, and

federal fish and wildlife agencies' to protect the resources in their

charge from the impacts of hydropower dams.

FERC's report was published just days after the General Accounting

Office concluded that until FERC improves its data collection on the

cost and timing of its process, "FERC will not be able to reach

informed decisions on the need for further administrative reforms or

legislative changes to the licensing process."

"The General Accounting Office's report illustrates that the

hydropower industry and their lobbyists have been pacing the halls of

Congress with a solution in search of a problem," said Andrew

Fahlund, Policy Director for Hydropower Programs at American Rivers.

"Congress should not consider any changes to the licensing process

until FERC can convincingly demonstrate that the process is flawed,"

explained Fahlund.  "The risk to the long-term health of our nation's

rivers is simply too high to rely on flawed analysis from FERC or

anecdotes from the hydropower industry."

American Rivers, founded in 1973, is the nation's leading river

conservation organization. For more information on the FERC

relicensing process, visit www.americanrivers.org.

----------------

Australia to raise nuclear concerns with N.Korea

CANBERRA, June 27 (Reuters) - Australia said on Wednesday it would

raise concerns over nuclear and missile proliferation when Paek Nam-

sun becomes the first North Korean minister to visit Australia this

week.

The June 28-30 visit by Foreign Minister Paek comes amid a global

debate about Washington's plans to build a missile shield and to

rewrite the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, the bedrock of U.S.-

Russian nuclear stability for 30 years.

Australia is one of the few countries which has openly supported

President George W. Bush's missile shield plan. It is also at the

forefront of Western efforts to bring North Korea out of its

isolation.

Pyongyang, one of the "rogue states" national missile defence is

meant to protect the U.S. and its allies against, has ferociously

criticised the proposal.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer told reporters that

regional security concerns, including measures to prevent nuclear and

missile proliferation, would be a major focus of his Thursday talks

with his North Korean counterpart.

"We have some real concerns about their missile programmes, their

weapons of mass destruction programmes, or at least debate about

whether such programmes exist or not," Downer said.

Paek would also meet with Australian Trade Minister Mark Vaile,

Industry Minister Nick Minchin and Agriculture Minister Warren Truss

during the one-day visit to Canberra.

He was scheduled to travel to Sydney on Friday to visit the Olympic

stadium, where athletes from North and South Korea joined hands and

marched together in the opening ceremonies for the first time since

the Korean war.

U.S. PROGRESS KEY

Paek is the first North Korean minister to visit Australia since

Canberra last year became the second foreign government after Italy

to restore diplomatic relations with North Korea as it began to

emerge from Cold War isolation.

Ties were frozen in 1975 and Downer was the first Australian

government minister to visit North Korea in 25 years when he went to

Pyongyang last November.

Downer said the return visit was timely, coming just after the United

States completed its review of its North Korea policy and decided to

restart dialogue.

An official said Australia would encourage North Korea to embrace the

U.S. dialogue, after Pyongyang last week greeted the policy review

with some caution, expressing doubt over whether Washington truly

wanted to improve relations with Pyongyang.

"High on our priority is to see that the U.S. policy review

translates quickly into serious dialogue," the official said.

North and South Korea are still technically at war because their 1950-

53 conflict ended in an armed truce.

Downer said he would also express Australian support for

international efforts to meet the pressing humanitarian problems

facing North Korea, such as regular famines.

Australia has provided over A$24 million of food aid to the drought-

stricken country since 1996-97, a fraction of the mostly U.S. and

Chinese food aid programme, and another A$18 million as part of an

international effort to provide heavy fuel oil.

-----------------

Confab on nuclear safeguards begins, Japan urges enforcement

TOKYO, June 27 (Kyodo) - By: May Masangkay A two-day symposium

gathering 38 government representatives and nuclear issues experts

worldwide began Wednesday at a Tokyo hotel with an eye to discussing

efforts to strengthen new measures on nuclear inspection safeguards

under the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

The international symposium centering on the Asia-Pacific region is

aimed at fostering an environment conducive to promote the early

conclusion of the ''Additional Protocols'' and encourage more

countries to ratify and implement them.

In an address, Japanese Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs

Toshio Kojima stressed the key role of the IAEA safeguards as an

''indispensable legal framework for nuclear nonproliferation'' and

also noted Japan's longtime and active efforts in the ''peaceful use

of nuclear energy.''

''Japan has actively contributed to the cause of international

nuclear nonproliferation while attaching the highest priority to

achieving full international confidence,'' Kojima said.

In the discussion forum, Kojima also expressed his understanding of

the state of affairs faced by other states, but said that Japan will

continue its efforts over the Additional Protocols to work for world

peace and security and thus urged them to follow suit.

Zygmund Domaratzki, deputy director general of the IAEA, also joined

Kojima in urging the countries' support and cooperation in

''progressing towards (the safeguards') universality,'' as he said

these protocols provide the IAEA with a ''fuller and clearer

understanding'' of a country's nuclear activities.

This is vital when dealing with undeclared nuclear materials or

activities, a case in point being Iraq, whose clandestine program on

nuclear weapons after the 1991 Gulf War shocked the world.

In view of such events, protocols were established in 1997 to

minimize the new risks of nuclear proliferation in the post-Cold War

era, thus allowing the IAEA to conduct on-site inspections of nuclear

facilities on advance notice of at least two hours to 24 hours.

In the protocols, countries are also obliged to provide the agency

with a broad range of information about their activities involving

atomic power, while the IAEA can designate ''sites'' rather than

individual ''facilities'' as subjects of its inspections.

Former U.N. Undersecretary General Yasushi Akashi, currently director

of the Japan Center for Preventive Diplomacy, meanwhile noted the

breakthrough document in last year's review meeting of the Nuclear

Non-Proliferation Treaty, which called the IAEA safeguards ''a

fundamental pillar of the nuclear nonproliferation regime.''

Participating countries in the symposium, sponsored by the Japanese

government in cooperation with the IAEA, include Australia, China,

the Philippines, South Korea, Myanmar and the United States.

Of the 55 countries that have signed the protocols so far, 19 -- of

which five are from the Asia-Pacific region -- have implemented them.

The five are Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Japan and New Zealand.

Japan signed the protocols in December 1998 and implemented them a

year later.

The Vienna-based IAEA is a specialized agency of the United Nations

and an intergovernmental organization working to strengthen the role

of nuclear energy in world peace and security. It has 132 member

states as of June.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle