Re: You have not given a reference, it seems to be about a liquid scintillation cocktail

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: David Wiik <DWiik@usamail.usouthal.edu>

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2001 22:19

>Has anybody looked at what scintillation fluid is for sale lately.  We

usually get about 20 cases at a time and sell it to the individual PIs at a

good price.  It's time to look now and I thought I'd save some time if

anybody just did the same thing.  We got Beckman ReadySafe last time and it

worked fine.  Thanks.

------------------

Your message is hardly understandable, but I might guess that you are asking

about liquid scintillation cocktails.

There are probably hundreds of liquid scintillation cocktails available

commercially from several different companies. Any customer or user has to

consider carefully, what kind of cocktail might be suitable for his

measurements needs or his application. There are cocktails especially suited

for low-level tritium measurement, cocktails for samples with high concent

of urea or buffers of salts or acidic samples or alkaline samples, for

absorption of CO2, for age determination by C-14, for

radon-in-water-measurement, for radium-in-water, radon-in-air,

for................

So I would recommend, if you want to purchase (or sell?) an LSC-cocktail you

first define what kind of radionuclides and samples should be measured, find

out about mixing ratios, then you study carefully the catalogues of the

major and minor producers or suppliers of LSC-cocktails like Beckman,

Packard, Wallac, Zinsser, etc., you request a sample to test the procedure

and finally you buy the one, which is most suited for your application.

LSC is a method which needs careful attention related to the intended use

and there does not exist any method or cocktail or what-so-ever, which is

suitable for all possible purposes. Otherwise we would not need

international conferences on this topic, the last one having been held in

May 2001 in Karlsruhe.

Franz