Re: Book: Body Toxic - An Environmental Memoir

There are dumps in the NY area (OK - next state) - according to Sandra A.

Geshwind (Should pregnant women move? Linking risks for birth defects with

proximity to toxic waste sites, In "Chance: New directions for statistics

and computing", Vol. 5, No. 3-4, 1992:41-45 (cont.)+86.) about one third of

the population of the state of New York lives within one mile (1.609 km) of

at least one "waste dump" (the kinds of dumps have been broken down into

subcategories - old laundry machines differ from chemical waste etc).

This article is good reading about correlations, cause-effect discussions

etc. Some people in the state of NY have as many as 20 waste dumps within

one mile. The next question then is who lives there and what their life

styles are.

I bet that a few waste dumps can be found in the neighbor New Jersey as

well... (saw the Philadelphia and Newark areas last year BTW).

My personal ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com

PS. All those people driving their car to gamble in Atlantic city - that

could cause a few escaping nasty molecules as well.

>Ms. Antonetta's reported health problems include "...a spectacular multiple

>pregnancy, a miscarriage, a radiation induced tumor, a double uterus,

>asthma, endometriosis, growths on the liver.."  Other problems mentioned

>are that she "... is a manic depressive who has been treated with lithium,

>has a seizure disorder and is a recovered drug addict."

A couple of interesting quotes from the review are: "A nuclear plant five

miles from her bungalow left the waters of Oyster Creek 'jazzed with

radioactive particles.'" and, "Under a geiger counter, Ocean County baby

teeth 'twitch with picocuries of strontium 90.'"