American AntiNuclear Movement

Radsafers:

Given the nature of some of the conversations on Radsafe recently the

following is provided to perhaps facilitate future discussions:

I am presently re-reading the 1981 Ph.D. dissertation for Doctor of

Sociology by Anthony E. Ladd titled, "A Social Movement Analysis of the

American AntiNuclear Movement."  Ladd conducted his research by distributing

questionnaires at the May 6, 1979 Antinuclear Rally in Washington, DC, which

was attended by 75,000 - 125,000 people, making it one of the largest

demonstrations ever organized in the US.  In addition to being a very

interesting read, Ladd does a good job describing the basics of the

phenomenon of social movements, noting that every social movement

transitions through 5 stages, namely:

1) incipiency

2) coalescence

3) institutionalization

4) fragmentation and

5) demise.

My question for the Radsafe readers to ponder and perhaps expound on is:

What stage do you think the American Antinuclear Movement is in today and

why?

Thanks,

Randy Brich

Tanks Focus Area

Program Integration Manager

VM: 509-372-4617

FX: 509-372-4549

randall_f_brich@rl.gov

My perpective entirely; unshared by my employer.

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment

to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that

will enable you to attain the success you seek."           - Mario Andretti