Re: Radon

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Sonter Mark <sonterm@EPA.NSW.GOV.AU>

An: 'Jim Nelson' <nelsonjima@HOTMAIL.COM>; paulwilliam_s@YAHOO.COM

<paulwilliam_s@YAHOO.COM>; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

<radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2001 01:41

Betreff: RE: Radon

I thought that it was fairly well accepted that the Po210 on tobacco leaves

(and other leafy plants) comes from the radon and hence radon daughters in

the air......

Mark,

Pb-210 has a half life of about 22 years. Its activity concentration in air

is therefore extremely low compared to Rn-222. The activity concentration of

Po-210 is accordingly much lower. Po-210, which is volatile and therefore

the radionuclide of concern in smoking, is present in tobacco plants to a

negligible part from air deposition, but predominantly by soil uptake of

Pb-210 with subsequent decay or also Po-210-uptake.

I respectfully disagree with the opinion that it would be widely accepted,

that Po-210 in tobacco and other leafy plants was due to uptake from air.

Franz