Informed Consent - Radiation Research

A recent thread on Radsafe had to do with x-raying South African

diamond workers to reduce theft. The discussion evolved around

ethics, alternative methodology and whether or not there was a real

or perceived risk from the exposure. Cases where CA prison visitors

were x-rayed (including infants) prior to be allowed in was also

discussed.

While the following article does not relate directly to the above

discussions, I find it to be pertinent, especially considering the

many cases of uninformed irrardiation in the name of research, that

have been covered in the media the past few years.

I recommend that you read the following article:

"Informed Consent in Radiation Research, Evolution in Ethics", Jerry

Keister, Radiology Today, June 18, 2001, Vol. 2., No. 13., Page 24.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle